Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Turning Point

This is a brief recount of my newfound faith. I know some of you keeping up with my blog might be interested so here it goes:

As a Catholic, I have always believed in God. I believed He existed and I believed that there must be some kind of greater power at work. However, I never knew what this meant or how to apply it. If anyone ever asked, yes, I believe in God. I am Catholic, right? However, only recently have I really learned what this meant.

As a child, I was never forced to go to church, and honestly I was never that interested. Sure, I knew certain stories from the Bible, and I had a somewhat broad overview of my religion. At one point in my sophomore year of high school, I started taking private bible study classes at home, feeling embarrassed for not knowing what everyone else seemingly “naturally” knew about the bible, God, and Christianity in general. From there I decided I wanted to make God a part of my life, but how?

To me, religion was always something very private; I never felt comfortable talking about it. I felt embarrassed about my ignorance, but I understood the basic gist of what being a good Christian meant, and I would occasionally pray. So, how could I, with no background, feel a strong connection with God? This was when my search for God began. I took Bible study classes and I applied to a Jesuit college, hoping to find God in a religiously affiliated institution. There, I took theology and philosophy courses, which were required but I really enjoyed. Yet none of these things helped me feel more connected. Why was my search not working? I certainly gained a little knowledge, but I felt that in order to really find God, I should feel some kind of passion within me. Shouldn’t I? It was no longer enough for me to believe for the sake of believing.

Finally I came to Rome—the Catholic hub of the world. As a student who would be spending an entire semester in a country with a foreign language, and had never been away and alone from home for more than a month, my search for God took a small pause. It remained in the back of my mind while I visited the cathedrals and churches, but I was mostly there to appreciate the art. Then, something unexpected happened: I was invited to lunch.

An old friend who lives in Rome invited me to lunch with, whom she likes to call, her second family. I met the lady of the house, Jane, her husband, Peppo, and their eleven-year-old daughter. I immediately felt so welcome and comfortable in a way I rarely felt at a stranger’s home. I learned that this family has a strong Christian faith, conducting bible studies at their house, and that Peppo, who was once an actor is now a missionary. We had lunch, jumped on their trampoline, talked, and watched a movie. Through this amazing family I learned that everything is possible through God. As we left their home to commute back to our own homes, I felt something I had never felt before—I felt a rush of happiness, appreciation, thankfulness, love, and the sudden urge to cry. I realized at that moment that I had finally found God. What was a fun and simple afternoon turned into a most unexpected and wonderful realization, confirming my view that everything happens for a reason. I searched for God in bible studies, I searched for God in a catholic university, I searched for Him in cathedrals and churches, but I finally found Him in people.

I did not have big plans for this summer. I originally planned to work as much as possible in order to recoup the money I am spending during my study abroad. However, I am now interested in applying for a two-week Erasmus summer program. It "is designed to introduce its participants to major contemporary trends in disciplines in both the humanities and social sciences"* with a Christian undertone. I immediately knew this was something I wanted to participate in. I believe that this program will help me expand and grow upon my newfound faith. As an advertising major, I also feel that the program can teach me how I can apply what I learn to my career. I look forward to discussing the “big, even ultimate questions” with a group, no longer feeling embarrassed, and now more willing and prepared to make my faith a little more public.

*http://www.nd.edu/~erasmus/summer_programs/index.html

--so this is actually the personal statement I wrote for the essay question asking why I wanted to be in the program. All of it is word for word except the explanation about the program. Do you think this was a good answer?--

Anyways, I got back from Milan Monday afternoon and I know you guys are anxiously awaiting a post about that...sorry you'll have to wait a little longer! I need to eat before my next class.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! not only as an essay, but as a personal encounter with God. I cannot wait to sit down and have a long conversation about this experience with you once you are back. i love you deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, im VERY VERY impressed. im an genuinely so happy for you. its these moments in life that you really appreciate life. its these threads of connection that really make you go wow! i cant wait for you to get back i have so much to share with you :)

    ReplyDelete